No. It's a Catholic devotional movement. There are actually two parallel cults; Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Hearthttp://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07168a.htm
We know Sauniere was a Sacred Heart devotee; he gave money toward the construction of the Sacre-Coeur Basilica in Paris. http://www.sacred-destinations.com/fran ... acre-coeur
That the Sacred Heart movement had a definite monarchist aspect to it ... they wanted France to be governed by a Catholic monarch who would strengthen the Church. http://catholicgauze.blogspot.com/2006/ ... heart.html
But: here's where things get interesting.
Paray-le-Monial, the town where Mary-Margaret Alacoque saw the BVM and launched the Sacred Heart movement, was also the center of the Hieron du Val d'Or movement. Which combined devotion to the Sacred Heart with Paul LeCour's occultism. The Hieron appears in the "peedox". http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/socio ... sion09.htmhttp://www.cesnur.org/testi/bryn/br_plz.htm
One of the "key" places of this story is the Sanctuary of Paray-le-Monial, which recalls the apparitions of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to Saint Marguerite-Marie Alacoque, in the 17th century. In 1873, the Jesuit Victor Drevon (1820-1880) -- who was to became vice-postulator of the beatification cause of the Jesuit Claude de La Colombière -- established a research center called Hiéron du Val d’Or at Paray-le-Monial, together with the baron Alexis de Sarachaga (1840-1918). Sarachaga was a Spanish nobleman linked to the Russian Imperial Court on his mother’s side and related to Saint Therese of Avila on his father’s side, and interested in Christian esotericism as well as in the ideas of Christ’s social regality and of the reparative Communion (he was encouraged in the spreading of these ideas by Pius IX himself). In 1877, the Hiéron, an eucharistic museum organized according to an accurate symbolic plane, became a society with four explicit purposes (the demonstration of the origins of Christianity from the mythical Atlantis; the reconstitution of a universal sacred tradition; the preparation for the year 2000 of a politic and social reign of Christ the King and the teaching of the sacred name of Aor-Agni -- Light-Fire -- as the key to the whole knowledge) and a secret one (the fight against anti Christian Freemasonry through the creation of a "Christian Freemasonry of the Great West"). As we can see from this few accounts, the Hiéron’s doctrine dealt with very singular subjects and believes. When Sarachaga died, Mr. Georges Gabriel and Mrs. Marthe de Noaillat stayed at Paray. They reorganized the Hiéron under a more clearly orthodox perspective, fighting for the institution of the feast of Christ the King (that they obtained from pope Pius XI with the encyclical Quas Primas, in 1925). For a long time, Mr. and Mrs. Noaillat’s collaborator, Jeanne Lépine, had been in correspondence with Paul Le Cour (1861-1954), who, in 1927, founded the association Atlantis and tried to pick up some of the topics which interested most Sarachaga (Le Cour inherited Sarachaga’s gold ring and his followers considered this fact as a sort of succession). After the death of Mr. and Mrs. Noaillat and of their collaborator Jeanne Lépine -- died with Marthe de Noaillat on 5th February 1926 --, the reality of the Hiéron du Val d’Or came to an end, still remaining an inspiration for further activities .
Among those who regularly went to the research center at Paray-le-Monial, there was Father Félix Anizan, Oblate of the Virgin Mary, who since 1909 had already centered his apostolate on the devotion and the doctrine of the Sacred Heart. He decided to found a scientific review which would have dealt with this subject from different points of view: dogmatic, moral, ascetic, mystic, liturgical, artistic and historical. In this way, on June 1921, the first number of Regnabit. Revue universelle du Sacré-Cœur ("universal review of the Sacred Heart") was issued. It was supported by a committee whose chairman was the cardinal Louis-Ernest Dubois (1865-1929), archbishop of Paris, and by other fifteen prelates from all continents, and on 10th March 1924 obtained a special apostolic benediction sent from the Pope by the State Secretary cardinal Pietro Gasparri (1852-1934). Among its first contributors there were the Jesuit Augustin Hamon, the Benedictine Demaret from the abbey of Solesmes, the Oblate of the Virgin Mary Emile Hoffet
(1873-1946), Léon Cristiani (1879-1971) and the secretary of the research center of Paray-le-Monial, Gabriel de Noaillat.
On cardinal Dubois’s request, on January 1922, Louis Charbonneau-Lassay’s contribution to Regnabit started. He was to present his huge work on Christian symbolism revival just on the pages of this review -- his first writing was about the templar enigmatic graffiti discovered in the embattled tower of the castle of Chinon -- and was to grant the prosecution of Regnabit, after its end, becoming the editor of Le Rayonnement Intellectuel, from 1929 to 1939 . In 1940, the result of his close examinations led to the publication of the monumental work concerning the study of mysterious Christian emblems, Le Bestiaire du Christ , which appeared in a more complex form -- it contained almost 1157 wood-engravings by the author himself -- and so far continues to meet with a unanimous and renewed approval by specialists and enthusiasts of this subject.
The "peedox" claim Sauniere met with Hoffet to help in translating the "parchments". It seems he would have been too young at the time to have done so, though.