Normally a village would have it's own four à pain
...where is it?...i can't find one anywhere in the village.
Remember that the presbytère used to be two separate dwellings belonging to an "individual/Joe Blogs" and the other half belonged to the mayor/commune and was rented to the Curé who filled the shoes/job at the time...the commune tried to buy "Joe Blogs'" half for ages before they capitulated.
15 mai 1809
Antoine Artozoul, maire, J.-B. Rousset, adjoint. On a du faire un escalier au presbytère parce que l'acquéreur de la seconde partie de l'immeuble n'a pas voulu donner passage au curé dans sa portion, comme il faisait auparavant.
Antoine Artozoul, the Mayor and J.B Rousset, the Deputy, had to make a stairway in the presbetry because the buyer of the other half of the building refused to give a right of way to the priest through his part of the building as the previous owner had allowed him to do.
Does this not say that the priest lived in the portion of the building that didn't touch the church ??
10 janvier 1813
Antoine Tisseyre, maire. L'évêque a envoyé une circulaire aux curés desservants, le 5 juin 1812, relative au logement des prêtres par les communes. Le maire dit au conseil : « la partie du presbytère possédée par Louis Rougé, maréchal-ferrand de Rennes étant jugée nécessaire au logement du desservant puisque c'est dans cette partie que se trouvent la cuisine et le four, et une ancienne dépense, que la partie qui est occupée par le desservant se trouve insuffisante pour son logement, puisqu'il n'y a qu'un seul.
Antoine Tisseyre, the Mayor. the bishop has sent out a circular to the priests that are concerned, on the 5th June 1812, apropos of the priests accomodation by the communes. The mayor said to the council: " the part of the presbetry owned by Louis Rougé, blacksmith at Rennes, has been judged necessary as lodgings for the priest because it's in this part of the building that one finds the kitchen and the oven along with an old outbuilding, because the part of the building that serves as his accomodation is insufficient for his lodgings because there is only one kitchen and one oven in the building.
.....(and when they say four/oven they mean a four à pain/bread oven !)...(we are talking compulsory purchase order because the Priest had no access to a kitchen!)
this shows you that the kitchen and bread oven was originally in the part of the presbytère that was adjoining to the church...the "old outbuilding" in question is the Souillard/wash house that is still there adjoining the gable end of the church......